The Webcam HOWTO
|Revision 1.61||2005-02-21||Revised by: jhs|
|Update on revived Philips Webcam driver development|
|Revision 1.6||2005-01-02||Revised by: jhs|
|Errata fixed, some rewrites for readability, new chipsets and updates|
|Revision 1.1||2004-01-12||Revised by: jhs|
|Update for 2.6 series kernel release and info on
|Revision 1.0||2003-12-04||Revised by: JP|
|Initial Release /
Reviewed by TLDP|
|Revision 0.5||2003-11-07||Revised by: jhs|
after v4l mailing list feedback|
|Revision 0.1||2003-10-12||Revised by: jhs|
|Initial draft posted|
This document was written to assist the reader in the steps
necessary to configure and use a webcam within the Linux operating system.
- Table of Contents
- 1. Introduction
- 1.1. Copyright Information
- 1.2. Disclaimer
- 1.3. New Versions
- 1.4. Credits
- 1.5. Feedback
- 1.6. Conventions Used in this Document
- 2. Enabling Support for Your (Webcam) Hardware in Linux
- 2.1. Drivers and Modules
- 2.2. Supporting the Connection Type
- 2.3. Specific Webcam Models
- 3. Accessing the Video Device
- 3.1. The Video Devices Node
- 3.2. Groups and Permissions
- 4. Framegrabbing Applications
- 4.1. Command Line Programs
- 4.2. GUI(Grapical User Interface)-Based Programs
- 5. Troubleshooting
- 5.1. Help, I have a USB webcam and don't know exactly what model it is and/or who the manufacturer is. What do I do?
- 5.2. Help, I can't find the camera device in
- 5.3. Help, I can see the camera device (both in person and as a device node in /dev), but I
can't access it!
- 5.4. Help, my camera has a driver that is source-only,
i.e., has to be built by me! Where do I start?
- 5.5. I am using Debian GNU/Linux. Is there an easier way to go through all this kernel compiling stuff and building of source modules?
- 5.6. Help, my camera is supported by a driver that
has to be patched into my kernel! What do I do?
- 5.7. Help--as in, where can I get more of it?
- 5.8. Help, I want to contribute to Video4Linux
support in Linux! Who do I get in touch with?
- A. Gnu Free Documentation License
Hosting by: Hurra Communications Ltd.
Generated: 2007-01-26 17:58:37